Evaluation of Liver Protectants for Xylitol Toxicity in DogsOpen
If your dog has experienced xylitol toxicity, he or she may be eligible to participate in this fully funded study comparing two different liver protectant products.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener commonly found in sugar-free gum. Although safe for humans, xylitol is highly toxic to dogs. In dogs, xylitol causes severe drops in blood sugar, damage to the liver, and can be fatal if left untreated. The mainstay of therapy includes treatment with IV fluids, sugar supplementation, and the administration of liver protectant products to blunt/reduce the severity of the induced liver damage.
This study compares the liver protective capacity of two veterinary liver protectant products in dogs suffering from xylitol toxicity.
- Dogs with confirmed xylitol ingestion
- Dogs who are less than, or equal to, 6 years of age
- Pet is amenable to taking oral medications
- Pet has not ingested other toxins that are known to be toxic to the liver
- Pet has no pre-existing liver disease
- The patient is not currently receiving (within 30 days of xylitol ingestion) any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), phenobarbital (seizure medication), or anti-fungal medications
- No dogs with unregulated diabetes or Cushing’s disease
What to Expect
- The study period is 14 days. This includes an initial hospitalization of 1-3 days.
- Initial hospitalization will be followed by an additional 1-2 follow-up visits.